Going horseback riding for the first time can be an exciting and equally nerve-racking endeavor. Working with live animals takes practice and expertise. It’s essential that you have a skillful trainer for your first time riding a horse so that you learn all of the proper techniques. By taking lessons with an experienced rider, you will feel at ease learning a new and exciting skill.
Here are some tips to ensure that your first horseback riding experience is excellent:
- Hold your horses. Securely hold onto the reins at all times. It’s important to allow the reins to have the appropriate amount of slack while riding. Maneuvering the reins is a way to let the horse know that you’re in control.
- Feeling wobbly? Practicing the correct posture while riding will take some effort. Riding a horse tests your balance and coordination. It’s a real workout!
- Relax and breathe. Horses are very perceptive to their riders and can tell if the rider is not relaxed. Learning proper techniques like how to use your thighs and legs as instruction for the horse is key.
- Safety first. Most stables will provide you with the necessary protective clothing to make sure your ride is safe. Always wear a helmet!
- Listen up. You will want to make sure that you are paying close attention to your guide or coach’s instructions. The valuable knowledge you’ll receive will help you become an experienced rider in no time.
This blog only covers some of the essential tools for riding. It’s best to have a skilled professional rider to teach you all the fundamentals. If you’re interested in horseback riding for the first time or you want to improve your riding skills, then contact us at (408) 520-0803.